There are a ton of things to consider prior to your departure but overall the trip is almost as simple as showing up at Padang airport, traveling to Kandui, and finding good waves.
1. How do I get to Indonesia?
We recommend that you travel to Padang in Sumatra (port of departure) via Singapore and Jakarta.We can assist with bookings for your international flights, your air ticket to Padang, and any necessary overnight accommodations. Our crew and ground staff will meet you at the airport in Padang on arrival and make arrangements to transfer you to the resort via NBA flight and/or boat transfer. PLEASE NOTE: All guests are required to be in Padang by 1:00pm on the first day of their trip and leave after 6:00pm on the last day of their trip. Ideally, we prefer it if guests arrive the day before the trip starts to give us more options in case of delays. All flight itineraries need to be confirmed by Kandui Resort prior to booking.
2. How many days do we spend on the island?
Kandui Resort has adopted a 10 day/10 night or 11 day/11 night schedule. Our schedule can accommodate 18 people for each new group arriving and departing on alternate Saturdays and Tuesdays. All trips are available on a first come first served basis. Kandui Resort utilizes a speedboat/fast ferryto get you out to the resort from Padang. All transport is subject to availability and change.
3. What do I do about my flight arrangements?
Kandui Resort utilizes Oceanview Travel to handle all of our guest’s air transportation issues for our United States based customers. International customers please contact your local travel agency. Whether you have frequent flier miles you’d like to use or simply book your flight to the Mentawais or beyond, Oceanview Travel can take care of you better than anyone – please ask for Jeff Samuelson.
629 Camino de los Mares Suite 101
San Clemente, Ca 92673
Contact Name: Jeff Samuelson
4. Where should I stay if I have an extra night on land? In Singapore? In Padang? In Jakarta?
This answer depends on where you have to stay for that extra night. Quite simply we suggest the following options:
– Singapore: In Singapore we recommend using the Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel – "The Roxy". The Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel is a world away from Singapore’s hustle, yet just 10 minutes from key locations such as the city centre, Changi International Airport and Singapore Expo, It is located on the East Coast of Singapore on Marine Parade Road Road, opposite Parkway Parade Shopping Centre and within walking distance to East Coast Recreation Park. Pricing available on their website. If you don’t have enough time to leave the airport there is a "Transit Hotel" inside the airport that works quite well.
– Padang: The Mercure. Kandui Resort will be happy to help coordinate your trip to eliminate the need to stay in Padang and if an overnight stay is required we will make it in Jakarta or best yet, Singapore. Thank you for your understanding.
– Jakarta: In Jakarta we recommend using the Sheraton Bandara Hotel. Just three kilometers from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, the Sheraton Bandara Hotel offers a unique, five-star, resort-style experience. We’re in the heart of the thriving, cultural metropolis of Indonesia, just a short drive from Jakarta’s central business district. The city’s energy is close by, but the tranquil countryside that surrounds us makes it feel miles away.
5. What do you suggest I pack for my trip?
The best advice when packing for a surf trip is to pack as lightly as possible. This fundamental rule of travel is especially true on a surf charter through the Mentawai Islands – when most of your time is spent in the water. Please click the "Essentials" link on the left side of this page, it provides an extremely helpful checklist you should use for your trip.
6. What kind and how many boards should I take?
Most people bring 2-4 boards. Most people will ride their standard shortboards most of the time but a good idea to follow is to track the swell forecast before your trip and plan accordingly. We have also stocked the resort with a variety of Firewire and Tuflite boards readily available for travelers who would prefer not to have to hassle with the costs and burden of transporting their own boards through airports and across the globe. Since Firewire and Tuflite boards are created with a consistent shape every time you’ll be able to surf the same board you surf at home.
7. What types of services and amenities are available at the resort?
Please refer to the "Resort Features" section to see a detailed list of what Kandui Resort has to offer!
8. What type of health precautions should I take?
– A. Most travelers usually update their tetanus and hepatitis shots before traveling to any remote region of the world.
– B. Malaria is a reality in some parts of Indonesia including the Mentawai Islands; consult your doctor for more information.
– C. If you take a prescription medication make sure you bring the necessary paperwork that goes with it in case of an emergency.
– D. If you are prone to seasickness please bring something to counteract its effects such as dramamine or bonine.
– E. For more information please consult your doctor.
9. Should I be concerned about malaria?
It is a matter of personal choice whether to take anti- malarial medication. Malaria is endemic in some of the places you will be visiting. Most guests at Kandui Resort take preventative measures in lieu of medication to protect themselves against the threat of malaria. Our main threat are sand flies that come out at dusk and night, for them we recommend wearing bug repellant and avoiding walking along the beach. Kandui Resort also tests all of our employees regularly, we have the most up-to-date medical solutions at our disposal, and we have everyone on the island sleeping under nets. So far none of our customers have caught malaria and the best policy is to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes.
10. Do I need travel insurance?
Travel Insurance is mandatory for your personal safety. The easiest way for United States customers to acquire travel insurance is through our travel partner, Jeff Samuelson, at Oceanview Travel. Travel Insurance packages start at $60 and go up. A decent travel insurance package will provide coverage for the following: trip cancellation and interruption, baggage delay, baggage coverage, travel delay, emergency medical and dental, emergency, medical transport and evacuation, and travel accident insurance.
11. What documents do I need to take?
Citizens of the United States or Australia need a passport with at least six months of validity left and one other form of identification. Kandui Resort requires that we collect a copy of your passport information including the number, date of issue, and place of issue once you arrive into Indonesia so we can arrange the necessary harbor permits for your travel through the Mentawais. In case you misplace any vital documents you should also carry a back-up photocopy of your passport, id, and airline ticket with you at all times. It doesn’t hurt to leave another copy at home as well. When you are in Indonesia you will be issued an immigration form that you must keep until your departure. When you leave they will ask to see it to determine how long you were in Indonesia. Please take care of that form once they give it to you. The most important thing to remember on this list is to make sure that you have an updated passport and a valid VISA. You will not be permitted to enter Indonesia if your passport is going to expire within six months of your departure or if you are from a country that requires a special VISA to enter. Most people can take care of their VISA upon entering Indonesia including citizens of the United States and Australia but before you purchase your airline tickets please check with your local authorities to make sure you’re covered.
12. How long can I stay in Indonesia?
Most travelers coming from the US, Australia, and Europe are issued tourist visas upon arrival, but if you carry a passport from other countries it is worthwhile checking to see if you need a visa. The standard tourist VISA is applicable for up to 30 days. If you plan on staying longer in Indonesia you must apply for an extended stay VISA at your local Indonesian Embassy prior to departure or in Singapore.
13. How much money do I need to take?
Once you get to the resort all you have to focus on is getting as many good waves as possible. Most of our guests bring extra money for the following reasons:
– A. Traveling Money: $150US
– B. Souvenir money: $50US
– C. VISA money: $25US
– D. Money for tipping the staff: $100 US is average
– E. Beer and Alcohol : $? (Credit Cards are accepted at the resort)
– F. Money for our Photo and Video service on the island – $150 – $300 on average
14. Is there a photographer or videographer available for my trip?
Kandui Resort surf guides and boat drivers routinely take photos during your trip and create slideshows to watch at night. These photos are available for purchase so it is a good idea to bring a portable 8GB flash drive to download them quickly and easily. We also be offer a full time video service in conjunction with FTR Films. Not only will they be maintaining a weekly video blog at Kandui but they will be filming guests and editing personal videos for guests that sign up for the service. All of these programs are handled directly at the resort.
15. Can I recharge my video camera etc.. at the resort?
The resort uses 220V electricity with 120V converters. you should be able to charge whatever you need but it doesn’t hurt to bring a converter set just in case. Be very careful before you plug anything in! If you have a concern please consult our Island Manager on site for help and information according to device. IPods should be charged through a computer only!
16. Do you have fishing and/or diving gear at the resort?
We have some fishing equipment at the resort, but if you are a keen fisherman bring some of your own lures and maybe your own casting rod. We also have two professional spearguns that can be rented for a nominal charge. If you must bring your own spear gun there is a risk of it being confiscated by customs. We suggest you break it into it’s components and separate them in your baggage. If you’d like to snorkel please bring your own equipment for sanitary reasons. Kandui Resort will have a few sets to use but we highly recommend using your own personal set whenever possible.
17. Can I be contacted while I’m at the resort?
The resort currently uses a variety of ways to stay in touch with the outside world. Most guests prefer to bring their own computers with their own Skype accounts and talk online.
18. Can I check my e-mails while at the resort?
Kandui Resort’s FREE internet is as good as you can get in the Mentawai Islands, which isn’t saying much unfortunately. It is definitely not as fast as you get at home, can be inconsistent at times, and frustrating but it’s the fastest connection we’ve seen in Sumatra. The internet is 100% free so you can have the option of staying in touch with your family, friends, and the office. We encourage most people to use their personal laptops in their umas if you’d like to get online. If you don’t want to bring along a laptop there are a few computers at the resort available to check surf reports, send e-mails, and make phone calls.
19. What is your policy on illegal substances?
Our operation is drug free. Indonesia has some of the strictest laws against drug use, drug trafficking, drug anything! Kandui Resort does not condone drug use in any form at our resort – guests who are found to be using drugs at the resort will be asked to leave immediately. It’s just not worth the hassle and trouble! Our policy is simple – no drugs allowed… please.
20. Can you give me an idea of how many other people I’ll be surfing with?
This question really depends on where you want to surf. It is possible to get away from the main spots and surf in solitude – everything really depends on the conditions for that day and the consensus among the group. The "shoulder months" of March, October, and November are a great time to get good waves and escape the activity of summer.
21. Can I celebrate a special occasion at the resort?
Hopefully with enough advanced notice we can accommodate any and all requests.
22. What happens if my flight is delayed or my boards don’t make it?
Fortunately we rarely encounter problems with our guest’s boards. In the rare instance that your boards do not make it we still send the trip out on schedule and make arrangements with one of our boats or another boat to rendezvous with you and drop off your boards.If your flight is delayed we react accordingly but since most of our groups are whole group charters if one person is delayed, the whole groups is delayed and it makes everything that much easier to cope with. Whatever time you arrive in Padang we’ll be there to pick you up at the airport and take you to the boat.
23. What happens when I arrive in Padang?
This is one question we hear most frequently. Perhaps the best way to answer it is to show you step by step what happens between the time you touch down in Padang and when you reach the resort, please click the "Travel Itinerary" link on the left side of this page..