During your stay on Kandui, home will be one of only 8 “umas”, traditional thatched houses built in the traditional Mentawai style by local Mentawaian craftsmen. Each is clean, spacious, comfortable, and offers an unparalleled view to the waves, ocean, and islands that surround the resort. Hand-woven vaulted ceilings and the natural design features provide a sense of adventure and culture while the interior design features provide a feeling of home. Each traditional "uma" is identified by a unique Mentawai name but we commonly refer to them by number as they extend away from the restaurant. Listed below are some of the features available in each uma:
– Each uma includes beautiful, hand-sanded hardwood floors, and custom wood furniture including a couch, desk, small table, and chairs.
– The entire space is cooled down by a combination of ceiling fans, portable fans, and air conditioning.
– Every uma is also outfitted with a dedicated wireless connection and small speaker to play your Ipod.
– Each “uma” provides ample sleeping and bathing areas accentuated by a queen sized bed with nets, rattan furniture, and its own sense of warmth and identity.
– All umas are stocked with cold drinks.
– Each bathroom has a sink, toilet, mirror, shower, and is completely tiled.
– Bath, hand, and face towels are available in every room but we encourage people to bring their own beach towels.
– Electrical outlets with adaptors for charging a multitude of electrical devices. (Please note we use a 220V current and Indonesian plugs so be careful before you plug anything in!)
– There are screened windows with a glass window that can be shut tight and locked, with curtains on the inside to let in, or block out light.
– There is a a specific area to hang wet clothes outside and in the bathroom.
– Each uma holds two to three people and is outfitted with wood shelves to store clothes and belongings inside.
– Your uma should be able to store all of your clothes, toiletries, and miscellaneous items. Larger items such as surfboards are stored in a designated area outside your uma or in the surfboard staging area that you can access to grab a new board, fins, leash, whatever you need. The staff will be able to help you find room for all of your belongings in a safe place where you can find them easily if needed.
– Each uma fans out to the south of the restaurant along a spectacular white sand beach. The paths to each uma are professionally landscaped and maintained to the highest degree with a combination of jungle foliage and coconut trees between each one providing privacy.
Using local Mentawai builders, under the guidance of an American development team, Kandui maximizes its local surroundings and functions as a partial eco- resort, yet still delivers a very high standard of accommodations and personal space.